Whidbey Island is not immune to issues of hunger and lack of shelter. UUCWI offers volunteer and financial support for two of the community organizations helping to combat these problems, and we provide financial aid to a number of other local charities.
Whidbey Island Nourishes provides nutritious meals for those in need, focusing on children and youth. Helping to make treats and lunches for the young people and their families is lots of fun. Bakers, burrito and wrap makers are needed, so join in!
Habitat for Humanity of Island County is founded on theconviction that every man, woman and child should have a decent, safe and affordable place to live, and UUCWI supports their goal by
volunteering at their Freeland furniture store, transporting donations to the store, and wielding hammers and other tools when a new housing project begins. Want to help out and join an
energetic team of volunteers? See our Participate page.
UUCWI dedicates its entire offering plate once a month to a local organization with a social justice or social responsibility mission. In addition, priority is sometimes given to responding to emergency needs, such as the UUA fund established to respond to the 2010 Haitian earthquake or the 2011 Japanese tsunami. The following are organizations to whom we have contributed during past months:
• Good Cheer Food Bank http://www.goodcheer.org/
• Habitat for Humanity http://www.islandcountyhabitat.org/
• Ryan’s House http://www.ryanshouseforyouth.org/
• Senior Services of Island County http://www.islandseniorservices.org/
• South Whidbey Commons/Youth Connections http://southwhidbeycommons.org/
• Veteran’s Resource Center http://www.vetsresourcecenter.org/
• Whidbey Animals Improvement Fund (WAIF) http://www.waifanimals.org/
• Whidbey/Camano Land Trust http://www.wclt.org/
• Whidbey Island Nourishes (WIN) http://www.whidbeyislandnourishes.org/
• Whidbey Island Share a Home (WISH) http://www.whidbeywish.org/
Proposals from candidates for dedicated offerings are solicited annually. If you would like to nominate an organization, please complete our SEJC Dedicated Offering Request.